1. The only person named Oscar to have won an Oscar was the composer Oscar Hammerstein II who shared the Best Original Song award twice.
2. King Oscar I came to the throne of Sweden and Norway on March 8, 1844.
3. The only Oscar winners who also won a Nobel Prize are George Bernard Shaw and Bob Dylan.
4. Liza Minnelli is the only Oscar winner (for Cabaret in 1972) whose parents were also Oscar winners: Judy Garland (an honorary award in 1939) and Vincente Minnelli (Best Director, Gigi 1958).
5. The King Oscar export brand of sardines was founded in 1902 and named after Oscar II who was then king of Sweden and Norway.
6. The Turning Point and The Color Purple both got 11 Oscar nominations without winning any.
7. In computing, OSCAR stands for Optical Storage Collection and Retrieval.
8. The Oscar statuette was designed by sculptor George Stanley from a sketch by Cedric Gibbons.
9. The statuette weighs 8.5lb (3.5kg).
10. Since 1950, winners cannot sell their Oscar without offering it back to the Academy for $1.