1. Although the Italians have eaten pizza for centuries the first recorded use of the word “pizza” in English was by Baroness Bunsen in 1825.
2. The word “za”, which originated in the late 1960s as US slang for “pizza”, was added to the Official Scrabble Dictionary in 2006.
3. The world’s largest pizza was made in Rome in December 2012. It covered an area of 13,580 sq ft. 4. The three top-selling pizzas at Pizza Express are Margherita, American and La Reine.
5. Margherita is mozzarella and tomato, American is the same with pepperoni, La Reine is Margherita with prosciutto, olives and mushrooms.
6. The average American, German, Norwegian or Briton all eats more pizza than the average Italian.
7. The word for a professional pizza cook is “pizzaiolo” (plural: pizzaioli or pizzaiolos).
8. On New Year’s Day, it is estimated by Domino’s that the British eat 2.9million slices of pizza.
9. Around 20 full-length films have had ‘pizza’ in the title including Mystic Pizza, Zombie Pizza, Pizza In Auschwitz and Pizza With Bullets.
10. None of these has ever won an Oscar, but Pizza With Bullets won Best Screenplay at the Action on Film International Festival in Pasadena in 2010.