1. The use of the word blue for a downcast feeling dates back to the 15th century.
2. Its origin probably lies in the blue tinge of flesh when blood circulation or oxygenation is poor.
3. The earliest known reference to downcast music as “the blues” dates back to 1912.
4. Pink for girls and blue for boys is a surprisingly recent tendency. Even as late as 1927 some fashion stores recommended pink for boys.
5. The scientific name for the blue whale is Balaenoptera musculus which may mean muscled whale but can also mean little mouse whale, perhaps a little joke by Carl Linnaeus who named it.
6. In the King James Bible the word blue occurs 34 times in Exodus and only 15 elsewhere.
7. Blue is totally absent from the New Testament.
8. Putting blue screens around people has been found to lead to improvements in creative problem-solving abilities.
9. Blue Gene was the name given to the world’s fastest computer in 2009. It was a successor to Deep Blue.
10. Mosquitoes are particularly attracted to the colour blue.